Ok, stop grinning. I know what you are thinking but this post has
nothing to do with my body size (fine, maybe a little) but if you want to feel what a Polar Bear might feel in his aquarium, this is the only FREE way to do it in Singapore.
Simply hop over to OCBC Aquatic Centre for a swim. Firstly, unlike standard deep pools, your feet is unable to touch the ground (unless your neck to toes height is 3M) even on both ends of the pool. That means u will have to be pretty confident in water to swim here. The seemingly harmless indoor pool has another surprise for you. The water is FREEZINGLY COLD!! I almost jumped out of my skin when I plop myself in the water. And I couldn’t even if I’d wanted to coz my feet couldn’t even bounce off the ground (3 meters deep, remember?).
Anyway, a quick check with the lifeguards reveals that the pool is in fact kept cooler than regular pools, 27°C to be exact so that our local athletes are perfectly competent in other countries where the water temperature is lower (international competition standard is between 25°C to 27°C). It may sound like barely 10°C below our body temperature, heck, even aircons in offices are below 22°C but you must really experience it yourself to feel how darn cold is it when enveloped in 27°C water.
However, after the initial shock, the surrounding transformed into total bliss.. The water is clean and spotless without the overwhelming smell of chlorine. It even tasted refreshingly sweet when it touches my lips and some on my tongue! For a moment, the depth, temperature, vastness of the water body brought me into another world.. The aquatic world.. Akin to aquariums, not unlike the wet enclosure of polar bears..
After 30 laps of continuous swimming (kinda no play/ leisure swim there coz you will obstruct other lap swimmers), what welcomes me when I exit the pool was the warm and comfortable air of the atmosphere. No chance of catching a chill coz the water is much colder than the surrounding air..
Perfect ending to a Thursday night. Bliss~~
Below are some other highlights/ reviews of OCBC Aquatic Centre:
– FREE entry! At least for the month of July 2014! =D
– Free lockers of various sizes in the changing room! Cleverly designed number lock lockers means u do not have to have a key dangling from your wrist or ankle (some even IN their swim trunks). There are also inbuilt hooks that will keep your clothing in place.
– Hair dryer. Need I say more? How else did I managed a decent post swim selfie without it? =P
– Changing room is so humongous you can fit at least 3 teams of World Cup players inside (including coaches and reserves). There are even private rooms for athletes!
-Water heater. Yes, u read it right. A warm shower after a swim is sooooooo pampering!!!
– Lifeguards are all good lookers who are polite, professional and always willing to share with you the facts and etiquette of swimming at the centre. Very proud to have them as the ambassadors of our national pool!
-Great for serious swimmers. You wun find a bunch of kids having their training in the middle of the pool while doing your laps.
-Awesome for non-swimmers too! Just tell the counter that u are there for a visit and you’ll get complimentary pass to just look see.. The spectator stand is beautifully designed and superb for selfies!
– Everything is new, clean and works great! – Oh, and did I mentioned that the lifeguards are darn good looking? =P
-Short and limited opening hours to public. 10am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm. The rest of the hours are reserved for athletes training. Visitors just need to collect your complimentary (for now) passes from the counter. Gates will only be open during those times.
– Water flow in the shower cubicles can be strengthened. I took a rather long time to wash off the soap..
– The aquatic centre is actually located a distance away from Stadium MRT Station. But again, it will ensure you have enlightened warm ups to prevent unwanted cramps when swimming.
– The blue covers of jump boards at the edge of the pool (to prevent unauthorized use) are rather hideous and look untidy. But that could be just me picking faults)
All in all, it has been a honor swimming in the same pool where champions compete. Will wanna pop by more often after work! At least during this month when everything is FREE! =) My complimentary pass! Yay! Thank you for the great workout experience and evening OCBC Aquatic Centre!
For more information and updates on OCBC Aquatic Centre, visit their official website at http://www.sportshub.com.sg/venues/Pages/ocbc-aquatic-centre.aspx